Much more when music was merely considered to be a hobby, or a good way to pass time. Music today is much more than a vocation. It has to have passion and zeal. It is very competitive and youthful. And thus this article has to be young; having the taste of something new, probably because I am young, my readers will also be youthful, and it is the youth who create what the present day India is all about – a Young and Dynamic India. Thus foraying into the vast ocean associated with Music, and especially into Hindustani Songs, many young buds like me are likely to be concerned about their careers in this field. With the growth of the entertainment sector, which comprises of all sorts of faculties and organizations, like the film industry, advertising campaign industry, radio and television market etc ., music has become a highly reputable and lucrative career option. But unfortunately, many of us from a small city like Allahabad are unaware of where music is actually turning to.
Well, in this busy age, where everything has converged to the era of “Nano” (I am talking of the latest technology which has zoomed up like a Sapaat Taan of the Gwalior Gharana), I better express my views in a simple, direct, but a comprehensive manner.
Initial things First – What is Songs? Let us first know what Indian songs in brief is all about.
“Geetam, vaadyam tatha nrityam, triyam Sangeet muchchyate”, a maxim from the granth – Sangeet Ratnakar by the famous musicologist Sharangdev.
The above maxim says that Indian classical music, which is a school of thought, comprises of three different arts which are:
(a) Vocal, or Singing (the expression of sound vocally like Khayal, Ghazal, Bhajan etc . );
(b)Playing of a musical Instrument (the expression of music through an Instrument like Sitar, Veena, Harmonium etc . ) and last but not the least,
(c)Dancing (The expression of music bodily with the art of Dance).
No matter how a person express it, these three arts are interdependent on each other. This is true of either the designs, or Paddhatees, in Indian music — the North Indian Songs and the Carnatic Music.
The development of the entertainment Industry has opened up many new avenues and vistas for individuals who want to seriously pursue their adore for music professionally.
The field associated with Music (Singing, Dancing and Playing of Instruments) offers many different kinds of jobs based on a person’s interest plus capabilities. Broad categorizations of work available in the music industry include :
1 . Teaching: One of the most traditional investments in music. Those who prefer an one to one interaction can start their very own songs school where they can teach and train other aspiring singers. You can open coaching class for training students for scholarships and competing exams such as the Sangeet Natak Academy, MHRD, NET, for shows like Sa Re Ga Ma and so forth, jingles for ad campaigns. This is no doubt a very lucrative career choice as well.
Nevertheless I would like to suggest, come out of this and explore a few other options as well!
2 . Sound Recording: For this you need to be a trained sound professional, or a trained sound recordist, the combiner or an editor. However for this one must know the latest computer software programs in the market, recording gadgets and should be able to manage the recording instruments and the techniques easily.
Singers too with a good trained voice can sing at recording studios and lend their voices as back up voices etc .
three or more. Concerts / Performances and Live Shows: A professional singer/instrumentalist/dancer, or a freelancer, has the choice to perform in front of a reside audience at concerts and live shows, including marriage parties, birthday parties and can be a religious music impresario for the NRIs looking back to their roots in religious functions and so forth
4. DJ’s, VJ’s & RJ’s: Those who are not directly into singing, yet enjoy music all the same, can become a DJ (Disc Jockey), RJ (Radio Jockey) and VJ (Video Jockey). All three deal with music. However , what differentiates them is the medium they use to reach the audiences. The VJ presents music on Television just like a Music compere for Antakshari type programmes, an RJ presents songs on Radio and a DJ offers music at live shows, or Night clubs.
5. Instrument Repairing / Device Manufacturing: This industry has a lot of scope and prospects, particularly within large urban towns. The traditional along with modern electronic instruments, or instrument substitutes, are spreading their wings and are getting accepted across the world. A career in this focused zone can not be ignored in today’s world.
6. Event Management/ Coordinator: You need to be creative and an instictive manager, or a supervisor. One can manage music shows. These days jobs are available for teaching Mehendi and Banna Banni songs for marriages/event management and so forth After all, what does SpicMacay do? Or, why to go that far, the music conferences organized by Prayag Sangeet Samiti every year too are an instance. Wonder, they may be looking to outsource the particular management of the event to some one that can deliver.
7. Music Practitioners: Examples are plenty where songs has been successfully utilized for therapeutic purposes. If you are you looking for more information regarding loop kit visit our web-page.
It has been used even for increasing crop, or milk creation. One can setup a clinic within a Spa, like that is done by an aroma therapist or a gemologist and so on and cure people and do something for a social cause.
8. Songs Composer: This is one of the most creative and innovative field in music where, “You Make Music”. Yes, you are going to make people tap and rap to your music. This seems to be quite interesting but at the same time it has to be an intelligent work done. A songs director, or a composer, must know different kinds of music. Suppose, you are given a task to make a track which has the ‘feel’ of Arabic music or Boul geet or Lavani. Did you notice, I said ‘feel of’…, which means it should present the mood associated with Arabic music (or Boul or Lavani), but at the same time it should not have to get totally Arabic music.
9. Music Arranger: His job is different than that of the music composer but is not precisely what people think. He has to ‘arrange’ music of a song or history scores. One needs to have a great knowledge of various instruments, sounds etc . and should be able to setup a network of kinds of music professionals whose services can be harnessed as per need of the Music Director.
10. Orchestration: Keep in mind “Maihar Band” of Ustad Allahuddin Khan! Another one of Zubin Mehta? I can suggest some more names like, Beethoven, Mozart, Hyden etc . Every one of them created music using various tools and instrumentalists and created background.
11. Website or Software Developer: I am not joking. If you are a software professional, or a website designer, you can create a music website of your own and also a software and people will admire a person.
12. Paper Reading: If you have a great understanding of music, you can write a paper and read it to discerning audiences. That means explain your research or project to an audience. Once you learn how to use power-point of Ms Office in Windows you can make a power-point presentation and can give lecture utilizing it.
13. Music restorer: This means you are able to restore music recordings by becoming a music historian, like CDs, Cassettes, Videos, Tapes, books and create you own archive or a library.
14. Songs vendor: You can sell music simply by opening a music shop etc ..
15. Others: Go on for songs in Hotels, Airlines, Railways, plus Army Bands which are fancy plus equally professional with fixed salaries. You can drive yourself towards the music Choreographer’s job if interested in dance but again be sure that you must know dancing styles from Kathak to Salsa or Jive, Music Journalism/E-journalism [where you need to have good writing skills].